1.______ more attention,the trees could have grown better.
A.To give B.Having given C.Given D.Giving
2.The first textbooks ______ for teaching English as a foreign language came out in the 16th century.
A.to be written B.written C.being written D.having written
3.The missing boys were last seen ______ near the river.
A.to play B.play C.to be playing D.playing
4.______ in thought,he almost ran into the car in front of him.
A.To lose B.Lost C.Having lost D.Losing
5.When passing me he pretended ______ me.
A.to see B.not having seen C.to have not seen D.not to have seen
6.The children insisted ______ there on foot.
A.they going B.they would go C.on their going D.going
7.He still remembers ______ to Shanghai when he was very young.
A.taking B.being taken C.taken D.having taken
8.______ the railway station,we had a break,only ______ the train had left.
A.Arriving at;to find B.Coming to;discovering that
C.On arriving at;finding out D.Hurrying to;to have found out
9.With the boy ______ the way,we had no trouble ______ the way ______ to Zhongshan Park.
A.leading;finding;leading B.to lead;found;to lead
10.______ these pictures,I couldn’t help thinking of those days when I was in Being and ______ from the top of a thirty-storeyed building,Beijing looks more beautiful.
A.Seeing;seen B.Seen;seeing C.Seeing;seeing D.Seen;seen
11.I can hardly imagine Peter ______ across the Atlantic Ocean in five days.
A.to have sailed B.to sail C.sailing D.sail
12.If you wave your book in front of your face,you can feel the air ______ against your face.
A.moved B.moving C.moves D.to move
13.______ is known to all,China will be an ______ and powerful country in 20 or 30 years’ time.
A.That;advancing B.This;advanced C.As;advanced D.It;advancing
14.While shopping,people sometimes can’t help ______ into buying something they don’t really need.
A.persuade B.persuading C.being persuaded D.be persuaded
15.There was terrible noise ______ the sudden burst of light.
A.followed B.following C.to be followed D.being followed
16.Please excuse my ______ in without ______ .
C.comimg;being permitted D.to come;being permitted
17.______ his head high,the manager walked into the room to attend the meeting ______ then.
A.Holding;being held B.Held;holding
C.Having held;held D.Held;to be held
18.——Did you hear her ______ this pop song this time the other day?
——Yes,and I heard this song ______ in English.
A.sing;singing B.sung;sung C.sung;singing D.singing;sung
19.The question ______ now at the meeting is not the question ______ yesterday.
A.discussed;discussed B.discussing;had discussed
C.being discussed;discussed D.discussing;discussing
20.With the cooking ______ ,I went on ______ some sewing.
A.done;to do B.being done;doing
C.to be done;doing D.to have done;doing
21.It is no use ______ your past mistakes.
A. regretting B. regret C. to regret D. regretted
22.Her husband died in 1980 and had nothing ______ to her,only ______ her five children.
A.left;to leave B.leaving;leaving C.leaving;left D.left;leaving
23.I am very busy.I have a very difficult problem ______ .
A.to work B.to work out C.to be worked out D.to work it out
24.I would appreciate ______ back this affernoon.
A.you to call B.you call C.your calling D.you’re calling
25.Climbing mountains was ______ ,so we all felt ______ .
A.tiring;tired B.tired;tiring C.tiring;tiring D.tired;tired
26.I saw some villagers ______ on the bench at the end of the room.
A.seating B.seat C.seated D.seated themselves
27.She was glad to see her child well ______ care of.
A.take B.to be taken C.taken D.taking
28.It is one of the important problems ______ tomorrow.
A.to solve B.to be solved C.solved D.solving
29.______ maps properly,you need a special pen.
A.Drawn B.Drawing C.To draw D.Be drawing
30.There is a river ______ around our school.
A.to run B.run C.running D.to be running
31.How about the two of us ______ a walk down the garden?
A.to take B.take C.taking D.to be taken
32.I was fortunate to pick up a wallet ______ on the ground on the way back home, but unfortunately for me,I found my colour TV set. ______ when I got home.
A.lying;stolen B.laying;stealing C.lay;stolen D.lying;stealing
33.Whth the kind－hearted boy ____ me with my work,I’m sure I’ll be able to spare time ___ with your work.
A.to help;help you out B.helping;helping you
C.helped;to help you out D.to help;to help you
34.Greatly movedd by her words, ______ .
A.tears came to his eyes B .he could hardly hold back his tears
C. tears could hardly be held back D. his eyes were filled with tears.
35.——I hope the children won’t touch the dog.
——I’ve warned them ______ .
A.not B.not to C.not touch D.not do
36.I would love ______ to the party last night but I had to work extra hours to finish a report.
A.to go B.to have gone C.going D.having gone
37.When ______ why he walked in without permission,he just stared at us and said nothing.
A.been asked B.asked C.asking D.to be asked
38.The man kept silent in the room unless ______ .
A.spoken to B.spoke to C.spoken D.to speak
39.He was often listened ______ in the next room.
A.sing B.sung C.to sing D.to to sing
40.Rather than ______ on a crowded bus,he always prefers ______ a bicycle.
A.ride;ride B.riding;ride C.ride;to ride D.to ride;riding
41.The boy wanted to ride his bicycle in the street,but his mother told him ______ .
A.not to B.not to do C.not do it D.do not to
42.What’s troubling them is ______ enough experienced workers.
A.that they have to B.they have not C.their not having D.not their having
43.______ his telephone number,she had some difficulty getting in touch with Bill.
A.Not knowing B.Knowing not C.Not having known D.Having not know
44.Bamboo is used ______ houses in some places .
A.to build B.to building C.to be built D.being built
45.Go on ______ the other exercise after you have finished this one.
A.to do B.doing C.with D.to be doing
46.The day we looked forward to ______ .
A.come B.coming C.has come D.have come
47.Whom would you rather ______ the work?
A.to have to do B.to have do C.have to do D.have do
48.Do you think it any good ______ with him again?
A.to talk B.talking C.to talking D.having talked
49.Sometimes new ideas have to be tested many times before ______ .
A.accepting fully B.being fully accepted
C.fully accepting D.fully being accepted
50.The government forbids ______ such bad books.
A.published B.to publish C.publish D.publishing
1. When he was a boy, he used to go there and watch _____.
A. to repair bicycles
B. bicycles to be repaired
C. bicycles being repaired
D. repairing bicycles
2. --- Have you considered _____ your job as a teacher?
--- Yes. I like the job because a teacher is often considered _____ a gardener.
A. to change; to be B. to change; being
C. changing; being D. changing; to be
3. The dog, _____, will be made a good watchdog.
A. to train properly
B. being trained properly
C. properly to train
D. trained properly
4. _____ the diamond, he had to look for a place to hide it.
A. Having stolen B. Having been stolen
C. Stolen D. Stealing
5. _____ the front door _____, he had to enter the room through the back door.
A. Seen; painted
B. Seeing; painted
C. Being seen; being painted
D. Seeing; being painted
6. And there, almost _____ in the big chair, sat her little brother, who never had to be told to keep quiet.
A. having lost B. losing C. to be lost D. lost
7. He looked around and caught a man _____ his hand into the pocket of a passenger.
A. put B. to be putting C. to put D. putting
8. To answer correctly is more important than _____.
A. that you finish quickly
B. finishing quickly
C. to finish quickly
D. finish quickly
9. The old farmer, _____ the badly injured and burnt soldier, came out of the burning farmhouse, calling continuously for help.
A. supporting B. having supported
C. being supported by D. being supported
10. In January , 2004, the United States successfully launched “Spirit”, a Mars Exploration Rover, _____ a new milestone in the history of mankind.
A. it marked B. marking C. marked D. to mark
11. It was getting dark; I found a car _____ in a pool by the side of the road.
A. to be stuck B. stuck C. sticking D. stick
12. You can’t imagine what great trouble they have _____ the problem _____.
A. to solve; being talked about
B. solving; discussing
C. to solve; to talk about
D. solving; being discussed
13. The monument was built in honor of the explorer who was believed _____ the river.
A. to have discovered
B. to have been discovered
C. to discover
D. having been discovered
14. The thief fell to the ground, his left foot _____ and blood _____ down from his mouth.
A. breaking; running B. broken; running
C. breaking; run D. broken; run
15. The program was so exciting that the children kept their eyes _____ on the screen.
A. to fix B. to be fixed C. fixed D. fixing
16. As I will be away for at least a year, I’d appreciate _____ from you now and then so that I can know how everyone is getting along.
A. having heard B. to hear
C. hearing D. being heard
17. _____, the subject was always in my mind.
A. Walking or sleeping
B. Walking or slept
C. Having walked or slept
D. To walk and sleep
18. --- Did you get a dictionary?
--- No, I _____, but there were not any _____.
A. tried; to be left B. had tried to; leaving
C. tried to; left D. had tried; have left
19. When he came to, he found himself _____ on a chair, with his hands _____ back.
A. to sit; tying B. sitting; tying
C. seating; tied D. seated; tied
20. The joke told by Tom made us _____, so the teacher couldn’t make himself _____.
A. to laugh; hearing
B. laughing; heard
C. laughing; hear
D. laughed; heard
21. All of the flowers now _____ here have developed from those once _____ in the forest.
A. raised; grown B. rising; growing
C. raised; growing D. rising; grown
22. Henry can’t attend the party _____ at Tom’s house at present because he is preparing the speech at the party _____ at Marie’s house tomorrow.
A. held; being held B. to be held; to be held
C. to be held; held D. being held; to be held
23. Seeing the soldiers well _____ for the flood-fight, the general nodded with satisfaction.
A. prepare B. preparing C. prepared D. having prepared
24. Don’t worry. I’ll have it _____ and get someone _____ it to you tomorrow.
A. typed; send B. to type; to send
C. type; send D. typed; to send
25. The sun was shining brightly, _____ everything there _____ more beautiful.
A. making; look
B. to make; looked
C. and made; looking
D. and making; be looked
26. How could he get the plan _____ without any one to support him?
A. to carry out B. carry out
C. carrying out D. carried out
27. New ideas sometimes have to wait for years before _____.
A. being fully accepting
B. fully accepting
C. having fully accepted
D. fully accepted
28. Having passed all the tests, she felt a great weight _____ off her mind.
A. taking B. taken C. take D. to be taken
29. I’m examining the article he has just finished _____ the possible mistakes in it.
A. being corrected B. to correct
C. corrected D. having corrected
30. _____ full preparations, we decided to put off the meeting till next week.
A. We did not make B. Having not made
C. We had not made D. Not having made
31. We should prevent such a silly mistake _____ again.
A. occurring B. to occur
C. to be occurred D. from being occurred
32. I regret _____ hard at school, or I would have succeeded in passing the exam.
A. not to work
B. having not worked
C. to have not worked
D. not having worked
33. They looked forward with hope _____ a chance to receive further education.
A. for getting B. of getting
C. to get D. to getting
34. “Well, I’ll tell you a secret ...” said the boy, with his mouth almost _____ my ear.
A. touched B. touching C. touch D. to touch
35. Towards evening, the patient opened his mouth as if _____ something to his son.
A. said B. say C. to say D. to have said
36. --- Would you be _____ lend me your bicycle?
A. so kind as to B. kind enough as to
C. very kind to D. so kind to
37. The beach is so beautiful that it is worthwhile, I think, _____ for a short holiday.
A. of going B. to be going
C. your going D. you to go
38. The teacher asked more _____ to prevent the students’ eyes from being injured.
A. to do B. done C. to be done D. being done
39. Some of the schools in Shanghai have moved one step closer to _____ with the global education community.
A. being connected B. connect
C. having connected D. be connected
40. The performance of the host, _____ to please the audience and draw their attention, was greeted with a cold silence, however.
A. had intended B. intended
C. being intended D. to intend
41. _____ and out of breath, we reached the top of the mountain and stopped _____ the beautiful scenery.
A. Tiring; to admire B. Being tired; admiring
C. Tired; to admire D. Tired; admiring
42. The 18-storeyed building, when _____, will shut out the sun _____ up the rooms in my house.
A. completed; lighted
B. completing; lighting
C. completing; lighted
D. completed; lighting
43. --- I hear Warren _____ in a middle school.
--- What? I can’t imagine him _____ as a teacher.
A. teaches; working B. teaches; work
C. teach; to work D. teach; working
44. _____ he’s only been learning English for a year, he speaks it very well.
A. Considered B. Considering
C. Having considered D. To consider
45. It was _____ computer games that cost the boy a lot of time that he ought to have spent on his lessons.
A. to have played B. playing
C. played D. having played
46. At no time does the salesgirl get up late in the morning, for she is always too busy _____ a good rest.
A. to take B. taking C. took D. taken
47. _____ as the most excellent student in her university, as most classmates had expected, made her parents very happy.
A. Mary was chosen
B. Mary chosen
C. Mary being chosen
D. Mary’s being chosen
48. _____ the big snake, the little girl stood under the tree _____ to death.
A. Seeing; frightened B. Seeing; frightening
C. Seen; frighten D. To see; frightening
49. You will see this product made in this factory _____ wherever you go.
A. to be advertised B. advertised
C. advertise D. advertising
50. Mr. Green is said _____ an experiment to prove the new method of solving the problem when young.
A. to do B. to have done
C. to be doing D. to have been doing
1-5 CBDBD 6-10 CBAAAA 11-15 CBCCB 16-20 CADCA
21-25ADBCA 26-30CCBCC 31-35 CABBB 36-40BBCCC
1-5 CDDAD 6-10 DDCAB 11-15 BDABC 16-20 CACDB
21-25 CDCDA 26-30 DDBBD 31-35 ADDBC 36-40 ACCAB
41-45 CDABB 46-50 ADABB